Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Upping the Anty

One of the reasons that I wanted to write a daily blog* is to track how Dennis is doing, physically and mentally. It helps me to keep aware of his past, present and future.

I do recall writing about that dreaded call out when I return home from work not too long ago. I didn't realize it was as recent as a week ago.

So, when I came home today and heard Dennis yelling, "Help!", I knew it was time to put my foot down, once again. Oh, how I hate doing this and how he hates hearing this. But it is a natural consequence. He needs to stay where he is after his PCA leaves and until I come home, or we will need to find someone to be here every minute I am not at home.

Right now it has been close to 2 hours that he has been on the floor, in one position or another, because his body is fatigued. He had held himself in place for an hour waiting for me, and he wants to just stay in one place while he recoups. I understand, but I cannot let this happen again.

His falls have reduced since last year, but now he has another non-negotiable regarding taking care of himself. Once his PCA has left, he needs to stay in bed, his chair or wherever he is put, until I return home. Otherwise, we will need to up the anty, once again.

Until later,

Ann and Dennis

*I tried, so hard, to write daily. It was a goal that I was unable to keep.

No comments: