Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Substitute Teacher

The speech therapist at school is on vacation and we have had a substitute all week. I usually try to meet all subs and give them a heads up on difficult children and our school expectations. I found this particular woman while she was talking with a group of some of my favorite classroom teachers. It seems they had worked together in the past, and had enjoyed each others company.

Yesterday, she came to me and asked if we could speak privately. It was no big deal, but it ended up in a very nice conversation.

She is has stage 4 cancer. To look at her, you would never guess that she has a life sentence hanging over her head. She has chosen to live each day full of joy and full of life. She is living focused on what is right and not on what is wrong.

She and talked about how a person actually accomplishes this goal. I think a happy spirit, to begin with, helps. She thought a person simply needed to adopt this way of thinking.

I doubt if either of us has the answer to how to meet this particular goal, but I do know that she and I, and Dennis and her husband, are all working on it daily. I suppose that, ultimately, is what is important - know your goal and work.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: