Thursday, February 26, 2009

Eye of the Winter Storm

Dennis had an appointment with one of his doctors today, but it was cancelled due to a winter storm. The storm was suppose to begin around 10am, but actually hit right smack dab in the middle of the first lunch/recess time at noon, CST.

We are suppose to be okay with snow storms in Minnesota, but the truth is, we are never really ready. Sure, we have the snow removal equipment, but money is always tight, and snow is never really removed before it is a tad too late.

So, a drive home from work, on a day when it is snowing, is long, long, long. My drive is usually 20 minutes. During a snow storm, the time doubles, at the least, but more likely the time triples. Since it began snowing at noon, and was expected to last about 8 hours, the 5 pm drive would have lasted over an hour.

So, when Dennis called and told me the appointment had been cancelled, I cheated. I pretended that nothing had changed and I left an hour earlier than usual. And I ended up saving an hours worth of driving and an hours worth of gas. I didn't feel entitled or guilty. I just felt a bit dishonest for not admitting the truth.

Right or wrong, I can live with this.

No comments: