Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Vulnerable

For most of us, going to bed is really no big deal. When we decide to go to bed, we do just that - go to bed. For Dennis it is another chore he cannot do alone.

Actually, he occasionally does go to bed by himself, but it takes 2 to 3 hours when he is alone. He is into this beauty regime at the moment, and may decide to spend an hour in the bathroom all by himself. By the time he has finished primping, I am sound asleep and he has no choice but to find a way to crawl into bed.

Most of us don't think twice about pulling up the covers or rolling over onto our sides. For Dennis, without help, he really isn't able to do either of these routine acts.

Tonight, as I was helping him to bed, I was very aware of how difficult it is to ask for help. It leaves us so vulnerable. I was also reminded to practice my patience. It is so easy to become resentful.

Until tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: