Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mother Follow Up

I received a phone call from the President of the facility where Ma had recently been living. Paul and I had met him on the Sunday that Mother was found dead. He was polite and empathetic at that time. Today he impressed me even more.

He called to tell me that the Social Worker had been wrong, and that we did not need to pay for the month of December. But first he offered up sincere condolences, and then let me know that the whole staff had been meeting to try and figure out just what went wrong. I mentioned my concerns about having stairs open to clients, and a wooded area on the grounds that clients were able to access. This wooded area then led to a crevice where Mother was eventually found. I was very adamant about the fact that I wanted these issues addressed. He assured me that these issues were being considered.

I told him that the coroner's office suggested that I report the incident to the Department of Health. The President dude told me that they had self-reported. This made me feel better.

Then he let me know that the staff was having a difficult time with this whole incident. Mother was well liked - she was joyful and loved the staff. I did let him know that I was not holding my mother's death against anyone in particular, but I was angry with the situation in general. Again, he understood.

The cynic will say that he was covering his butt. I can be a cynic, but I can also be too trusting. My intuition tells me that he was sincere, and would accept blame when and if it came to that. I can admire a boss that will accept blame before he lets his employees get beat upon. Thank the gods that I have a cynical brother and sister to keep me in check! We are a great balance, the three of us.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: