Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sunday

After a long two weeks, I spent the majority of Saturday in bed. I had planned on painting, but didn't have the energy to pick up the brushes and put the paint on the canvas. Today, I woke, refreshed and started the day out painting.

For the past 4 months, Sundays have been hectic for me. First I had to get myself ready, then Dennis, then pick up my mother to bring her to our place. Often she would need to stop at a grocery store or Walgreen's along the way. Then I would make lunch for the three of us, watch football (yuck, yuck and double, triple yuck) with Dennis and Mother. Sometimes Hamed and Ashley would join us. Then it was clean up, and return Mother to her apartment, do some chores around her apartment, and then return home to take care of Dennis. Whew. I am tired once again just thinking about this routine.

This Sunday I am experiencing very mixed feelings. Two weeks ago is when Paul was here and Mother was found dead. All that drama is something I am having a difficult time getting out of my head. Last week was not about Mother, but Jane and Ralph came over, so it wasn't quite like this Sunday.

Today, the morning was leisurely. Dennis slept in so I was able to get 2 hours of painting in before getting him ready. I made breakfast and Dennis retired to his room for a few hours while I played on the computer and listened to acoustical Sunday on Cities 97. Then, around 1:00 we headed to Bunny's for bar food and a beer.

Dennis and I had a few short conversations about Mother and Sundays at Bunny's. I expressed my mixed emotions - having Sundays back again and at the same time wishing Mother was still alive. Dennis told me how he hated when his parents took him to a bar to eat, and I told him we never were inside a bar as kids. He then wondered what his life might have been like if he had the opportunity to have good parents like I did.

I guess I really am one of the lucky ones in this world. My parents were good to us, even if they were a bit too strict for my wishes. As adults, they still remained good to all of us, and stood by us through any and all of our mistakes.

Bye Bye Mom and Dad

No comments: