Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Local Loco

I am starting with this picture, because it comes attached with one of my favorite stories from our trip. Our last stop before the disembarking stop was La Serena, Chile. It is a small fishing village located in a bay. On the opposite side of the bay is a developing tourist area. We did not make it over to the tourist area - we usually prefer to hang out where the locals spend there time.

There were quite a few fishing boats that had docked before we arrived and the fish were cleaned and ready for sale. But several sea lions and pelicans were still looking for more entrails, bait fish and other assorted foods to fill there bellies. I don't think this little cutie has ever had to hunt for his own food.


Dennis wants to return to this earth as a pelican, so I had to include a picture of these guys too. Frankly, I think his karma is quite a bit higher than a pelican, but then again, maybe this is the easy life that he deserves next time. He has promised to come to me if he ever sees me on a beach somewhere out in this big old world. And I will call "Danielito" every time I see some pelicans, just in case.

After we finished taking in the scene, we entered the restaurant area of the village - all serving the catch of the day. I ordered a pisco sour for all of us because a person is not supposed to leave Chile without trying at least one, since it is the National Drink. It's a bit of a cross between a Daquari and a Margarita.

Then we ordered empenadas. Dennis and Raquel were not feeling so well, so they went for the cheese filling. I could not leave without downing some fresh seafood and I ordered one filled with the catch of the day. Out came a meal in a pocket - it was the size of two fists put together. It was delicious.

There was a single man sitting at a table behind Dennis and Raquel, but in my view. He started at us the whole time. Not a luring stare, or a curious stare, but a very menacing stare. He was talking into a phone and playing with his hair. He wasn't really eating, though he had food in front of him.

All of a sudden Dennis started chocking. I dashed out of my seat and started a Heimlich while Raquel and the table of people behind me pushed the table away and called for help. It was all over in a minute, and we went back to enjoying our food.

A few minutes later, the people at the table behind us began to leave. The woman spoke English and said she didn't want to scare us, but the man that had been staring at us was calling the authorities. He was ranting about how I was trying to kill my husband and he had witnessed the whole thing. The waitress came over and hid our pisco sours, trying to protect us in case the police did show up.

The dude then left the restaurant, and we paid our bill and left too.

We named him the Local Loco. Raquel and the waitress figured he was taking some sort of drugs. I think he was simply delusional. Whatever, we made it out safe and sound, and Dennis survived his latest chocking event.

It's nice to have my computer back!

Ann and Dennis

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why am I not surprised that your favorite story from the trip involves trouble with the authorities! Troublemaker!

Ruth said...

Geesh, Ann, we're going to have to keep you under lock and key and not let you go anywhere if you keep that up!!

LOL

Ann said...

Must be Chris - I love trouble making! Sheese, I will be 60 in a couple of years, and my favorite stories are still about getting in trouble.