Saturday, September 4, 2010

Yet Another J/G tube Replacement.

It was back to Methodist hospital yesterday for another J/G tube replacement. It started clogging a few days after we returned from our trip to Alaska. I suppose I should give a big thank you to the tube gods for making sure it happened when we were home.

I happened to have the nutritionists telephone number on my phone because we had talked just a day before this happened. She had suggested adding water to the feeding, but that didn't help. It still clogged up. So while I was on the phone talking to her, Raquel was on the phone setting up an appointment talking to the hospital. We managed to get him into the hospital for a tube change and get a new formula prescription all in one day. The food arrived just in time for his nightly feeding.

We are crossing our fingers. This food seems thinner and less sticky. Of course he needs to take more in because it has fewer calories in each can and we need to wait and see how he tolerates the new rate of intake.

I guess the last resort will be to have two separate tubes instead of the combined J/G tube. What possible difference could that make. He already has two tubes protruding from his belly (the J/G and the cath). It just gives the homeland security at the airport more to fuss about when they wand him anyway. I love to make their lives just a little bit more miserable anyway. They are way too arrogant for my taste - even though I am happy when they do a thorough job.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Ann, your positive attitude is amazing and makes me realize that attitude is everything! Thank you.