Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back to Normal - At Least My Normal

Life feels much better today. Perhaps a lunch out with very old friends and laughter helped. Maybe it is because the sun is shining for the first time since we returned from our last vacation. Or it could just be that I hate living in negativity and have made a choice to see the better side of the situation. Most likely it is a combination of all three and many other unknown factors.

I have been sleeping better, too. I have started keeping a syringe filled with a combination of Carbidopa/Levidopa and a small dose of Clonazepam (the muscle relaxer) by my bedside. If Dennis wakes me up with his sleep dreams, I inject it into his G tube and he settles down rather quickly. I don't have to get up out of bed to mix it up and Dennis doesn't get too far into his wild dream before I can get the mixture into his system. We both end up with a better nights sleep.

It also helps that a few other caregivers in my position have let me know that I am not alone in my feelings. Thank you to all of you who have reminded me that I am human with frailties and flaws - and it is okay not to be perfect.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

2 comments:

Ruth said...

It is definitely okay to not be perfect. And this from a recovering perfectionist! Striving for perfection is okay, but not when it causes stress because nobody is perfect.

vivi3 said...

Whoever reminded you of this fact was amazing! Good to remember..none of us invincible or here forever no matter what!

Not when it causes stress..yes! yes! I hear you, Ruth!

Hugs/iva