Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Spark

I just had to write one more entry before we set out on our latest journey.

Today I took Dennis to two medical appointments. One was to have his catheter changed and the other was to his doctor that specializes in movement disorders. Both went fine, but the second visit is the one that prompts this entry.

Dennis always wants to know how long he has left to live, and he always asks the question. Of course there is no real definitive answer and we know that a bad fall or pneumonia may be the end of it all. We work hard to prevent either from happening and, at the same time, know that we cannot control everything.

The doctor's answer to Dennis question was, "You still have a spark in your eyes and that is encouraging."

I have said it before and I will most likely say it again, but love, laughter and an enjoyment of life must play a part in all of our lives. Perhaps this is even more important when a person is sick.

So as we are off on this Alaskan adventure, I will know that we are doing the absolute most that we can do for Dennis' longevity. It's what works for us.

I have no idea what puts the sparkle in your eyes, but I do hope that you know it and keep it awake and alive.

Until after vacation,
Ann and Dennis

PS - Look for updates on Facebook while we are gone. If you aren't my friend on FB, feel free to friend me. Otherwise you will just need to wait until we return home.

3 comments:

Queen Jaw Jaw said...

Me thinks you have the right ingredients for living your lives to the fullest. If more people followed your example, we would have no war. I'm looking forward to the travel updates. As we say down South, ya'll rip it up!

Ruth said...

Yes, that spark is important. A person can be very sick, but if there is that spark, they are still fighting. I truly admire your attitude; it gives me hope.

Dan said...

I hope the trip has been wonderful for you, my friends. Thanks for the courage and hope you bring to other with your faithful posts and creative words. Your Friend in the Fight, Dan