Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Retired and Working

Yesterday I received a series of emails and phone calls regarding a part-time job. I really was not expecting to be recruited, but I wasn't taken completely by surprise.

I used to work under a federal grant umbrella within the Minneapolis district. Our over-all direction was to promote and provide training for safe schools. I worked with a small group that attempted to move schools towards a positive and preventative approach to working with behavior issues. Unfortunately, Minneapolis did not adopt the idea with any enthusiasm, and it faltered and petered out.

However, most of the state has embraced PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) just like the majority of educators in the country. The metro group alone (areas surrounding Minneapolis and St Paul) has 49 new schools this year, and 30 last year. Not surprisingly, they need more staff to train and work with new school staff.

What does this have to do with Dennis' MSA?

Nothing, I suppose, but it will provide extra income that I could use now that I have retired to spend time with Dennis. This is a very part time job, with flexible hours and dates. There are only 3 times during the year that I must be in town at a meeting.

Most importantly, PBIS is something that I really believe in, understand and can support without any reservation. School staff that have signed up for the training are usually fun to work with and motivated to make positive change. Within a few months of the beginning steps of implementation, schools are able to see positive change.

And, as my last entry stated, Dennis will be happy to get me out of the house more often doing something that I enjoy.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

Mary Lou said...

Sounds like a good idea to me. The best of both worlds and good for Dennis and you. How are the vacation plans coming? You both must be very excited. Hope you have made plans for some help, so that the vacations go well for you both. Vacations and a job later--yahoo!! Lot of good things to look forward to and enjoy.