Thursday, February 4, 2010

Saying "NO" to Dennis

First, do any of you bloggers know how to get those ads off the top of my post? I have tried everything I can think of, so if you know, please share.

Now, for the business at hand.

A few days ago, I received a frantic phone call from Raquel. She was crying and blubbering about Dennis telling her she was fired. He had also told her he wanted to get out of the car and walk home. I asked to talk with Dennis and when she handed him the phone he said, "No!" Okay, I can understand his saying no. I have done that myself recently with parents that don't want to hear that their children are misbehaving. He knew he did not want to hear what was about to be said.

He did pick up the phone, and he was obviously upset. He was yelling that Raquel was making decisions that she had no right to make! She refused to take him to Micro Center! She had no right to say NO!

By now everyone in the school office was listening in. I left, with several people saying they were happy that they weren't Dennis right now. I must have had on my mean face; the look that says "don't mess with me, I mean business and this silliness will stop right now!" Or, perhaps, they were just embarrassed to have overheard this particular private conversation.

The roads were horrid - it was raining, snowing and blowing. As I drove home I had plenty of time to put together my plan. I would do a mediation. I would listen to both sides and then facilitate a forgiving love-fest between Dennis and Raquel. All would be well once again. Please..............

I knew the problem way before I heard the stories. Dennis does not like being told that he can not do something he wants to do. He has been the boss, he is a man and he is incredibly stubborn. Raquel, on the other hand, did not feel safe about taking him to Micro Center. The parking lot is horrid on the best of days, and she was afraid he would fall. He had also been to the Courage Center for a work out and he was tired.

Raquel and Dennis have spent more time together that Dennis and I have over the past two years. They have had a few tiffs before, but this was a rockin' all out fight. Dennis and I have had many rows in that same amount of time. This was long overdue.

All is well, that ends well. After a few minutes, Dennis and Raquel shared their stories, made up and admitted they adored each other.

I am still letting out a sigh of relief. I really did not want to replace Raquel. I, too, would miss her.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

jb said...

Hi
I believe(?) to avoid adverts on top
u may have to change this template for a blogger templates