Friday, August 21, 2009

Moving Out

This has been, without any doubt, one of the most tiring weeks of my life. I am grateful that I had a good friend, JoAnn by my side every day of my mother's house clean up and thrift sale readiness. I am also happy that Jane could join us for 2 of those 3 days, and worked hard to get the job done on time. In addition, my uncle joined us to haul furniture, wood and garbage and lots of moral support. Then Celina and Joe, the young students who helped us in exchange for some furniture for their home, worked hard to get the house 'sale' ready.

A few neighbors and old friends also stopped by to wish us all well. For some of my parent's friends, they have been together since before any children were born. For others, newer friends, but just as loyal and caring. Tragedies really do bring out the best in some people. In others, it forces them to retreat and hide. In many, it just highlights the natural goodness that some people are gifted with.

Tubby, my uncle and Kathy, my aunt, shared with me at the end of the day, a successful estate sale. They were proud to tell me the ex-teachers and students that stopped by and named many friends that stopped in just to see the house. I imagine it was just a last goodbye, even no one they wished to say the words to, were actually around.

Mother, on the other hand, seems to be settling in well. She went on 2 field trips this weekend. One, she can't remember enough to tell me and the other was to Stillwater for a lunch. I encouraged her to go to a work out, and she stayed or News and Talk. She seems to be getting comfortable in her new setting.

Until tomorrow
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

Mary Lou said...

Ann and Dennis, I have been following your blog for over a year now. I so admire your courage, strength and tenacity. You are so amazing and give encouragement in so many ways; yet at the same time your candor is such a comment on the many contradictions life brings.