Friday, August 28, 2009

A Balancing Act

I am trying to figure out how to handle being a care-giver to two people. I am not my mother's official or primary care-giver, but she does depend on me for quite a bit, and these needs will only grow as time goes by. (I hear a tune in my ear...). We pay for Dennis to have a PCA while I am at work, but I am always his primary. I might as well admit that, at work, I am also more or less a care-giver. I help adults. parents and children figure out how to play the game of school. Well, maybe that's more a problem solving job, but some of the individuals really need lots of attention.

For a change, I am not complaining. I am trying to figure out how to find real balance in my life without turning into a drunk or a bitch. Or, for that matter, both.

Today, at work, I presented the new plan for a positive school climate. Translate positive school climate to mean poor behavior, and some teachers get their dander up. It's a sore topic, no matter how a person approaches it. My boss and I found a fun way to approach the topic, and, at least for today, it worked.

Then I came home. A message from Dennis' PCA, a message from Jones-Harrison, mom's new home, and a message from the Air Force, mom's insurance provider. There is always more work.

I know I am only working 4 days a week this year. But we haven't decided if this means more work for me, or if we will pay for someone to come in for Dennis on my day off. My boss, also, hasn't figured out that I am unavailable on Fridays - she has staff meetings and training she wants me to attend on those days.

I also am better than most at finding ways to take care of myself. I am basically a selfish person, so I am skilled at putting myself at the forefront. But this is all so new to me. I will figure it out, I always do, but if you have any good advice, I am listening.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

vivi3 said...

Hi!

Just checking in briefly to see what´s happening. And it´s ALOT..I see. Ok, you say that you are good at keeping yourself in the forefront..I will be believe that..or not..if I want. But either way..MY GOODNESS!!!! You are my SUPER HERO..but then you know that already :)..both you and Dennis.

Anyway..sending all my love and lots of hugs/your iva