Sunday, May 24, 2009

Virtual Friends

Ten years ago, or so, I began to keep up with my relationships by email. When I would vacation, I would send home emails about my adventures. I remember first starting this when I went to Guatemala to study Spanish.

Eight years ago, I met Dennis online. Well, actually, we were introduced online and met in person a few days later. When we met, we knew that both of us were honest about who we were online, and that we had so very much in common.

Nowadays, I have several virtual friends and acquaintances.

There is Iva, in Sweden, who reads my blog frequently and comments often. Iva has a heart of gold and always is here to give me as virtual hug.

A woman, whose mother has MSA/SDS, or something Parkisonian, that was so thoughtful to send me an ecard when dad died this month. We have corresponded a bit, and I find some relief in her emails, as she finds some relief in my blog.

Lola, and Poppie, in London, who we have been lucky enough to meet. We both love them to bits. We would never have met them had it not been for this darn thing called Internet.

I keep up with my family and friends via email, or texting, even more often than telephone. I doubt if my nephew has ever handwritten a letter and sent it via postal mail, but that doesn't mean we aren't in touch. There are those (over the age of 100) that would argue, that virtual friendships are not as deep as real friendships. I, being my obstinate, stubborn self would argue, that some of my very deepest relationships are virtual.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: