Thursday, May 14, 2009

Super Pubic Catheter

Dennis and I had a consult with a urologist today that does prostrate surgery. Dennis has decided to have a super pubic catheter placed instead of the Foley catheter that he currently uses for his urinary issues.

For those of you that have no idea what I am talking about, a Foley catheter enters through the penis. An SP, or super pubic, bypasses the penis and inserted directly into the bladder through the pubic area. I have no idea what this will look like, but happily, only a few of us will ever have to see the whole business in it's entirety.

We are waiting, however, for the actual surgery until August. We have so much to do in regards to my mom in June and we hope to visit Ireland in July. Surgery before we leave the country, even if it is minor, seems reckless. Why test fate if you do not need to?

Dennis is looking forward to this change. He complains of discomfort constantly with his current catheter. Then again, Dennis is prone to whining, anyway. Just another one of the reasons that I love him.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ann..I read thru your blogs..I am so so very sorry that you lost your dad. My Gosh as if you guys don´t have enough as it is. And it happened so quickly! I suppose this is good for your dad..but the rest of you all.

And he was your most faithful reader and supporter!! Oh how you must miss him and how empty it all must feel right now.

I wonder how your mom is doing,too? Perhaps I will find some info on bws..if I look more closely. I know that you don´t have time to write otherwise...

I am so sorry and sending you both all my love and hugs! Humlan/iva