Thursday, May 21, 2009

Listening and Talking

When I arrived home today, Dennis shared the good news that he was up at 8:30 this morning. In addition to getting out of bed early, he ate a huge breakfast, did some weight lifting, walked outside for a while and was cheerful. A nice change from yesterday.

His drooling is getting beyond pesky again, though. His botox has worn off, and his nurse practitioner is reticent about receiving another injection. She is afraid that his pneumonia last month was, at least in part, exacerbated by the injections. This was disappointing news, as his speech is so difficult to understand under the best of conditions. The more saliva he produces, the more difficult his speech is to decipher. The injections were the first intervention that helped even a little bit.

What all of this means for me is, simply, we are not communicating as easily. Dennis is the talker and I am the listener. Okay, those of you that know me well, know that I love to talk, too. But, I am basically lazy, and if I am around someone who likes to talk more than me, I easily acquiesce. Dennis likes to talk more than I do, so I have become the listener. It isn't easy being a listener, however, when the talker is so difficult to understand.

We have played these roles for so long, it is difficult to change. I simply need to become the talker, once again, as Dennis takes on the role of listener. I have a feeling, deep down, that the transition will be much easier for me, than it is for Dennis.

Until tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

your insights are and have been passionately amazing... such a gift you have with your words... such goddamn sadness, kindness, integrity and humor... how sad about your dad... they are a strange creature... dads-- spend most of our early childhood adoring them, our adolescence wanting to strangle them, then eventually coming to love and appreciate 'em... condolences to you both...

Anonymous said...

Hi..

Just checking in..and saying hello! The bravery that shines thru everything..the love..the sadness..

Sending so many hugs to you both!!!
Humlan/iva

Anonymous said...

James Blunt does 2 songs.."No Bravery" and "Cry" that are SO GOOD when you need them.

I am thinking of you and Dennis so much...so very much..can´t seem to get you out of mind actually... that´s ok..we are on this earth together..and in some ways..we are in it all together,too.

Lots and lots of hugs this sunday afternoon..from Sweden.

Your/humlan/iva