Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Test

I was just becoming satisfied that we had worked out all of our issues regarding personal care attendants, when JoAnn told us, a few weeks back, that should would not be available on Fridays for the month of January. I simply asked Raquel and she said "yes." So I was cool and relaxed when Raquel asked me today if it was next week that we needed her on Friday.

I said yes and Dennis yelled out a huge 'NO!'

As Raquel tripped off to the other room, we began a slightly heated discussion. It might have gotten hotter, but a guy was here fixing an installation problem with our blinds. Neither of us were in to looking like complete fools.

I understand that Dennis wants time alone. I love being alone in my home, and I don't get the opportunity very often. No matter how far away the PCA stays, he is still never alone. I feel the very same way about his presence. But, in reality, it's not the same. I can do anything I want to when Dennis is here. You do put limits on yourselves - like the really good fight we could have had - when someone else is in the house with you.

Oh the other hand, he has not proven to me that he can take care of himself without someone here. He believes he is capable, at least for one day a week.

So, a test for the rest of vacation, seems to be in order.

We are home alone for the next 5 days. If he can show me that he can get out of bed, get dressed, feed himself and get around the house without my help, I will give in to his request. I will not feel at ease, that day at work, but I will give him back his independence, at least one time.

Until the next time
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

Online Dating Website said...

Fabulous Sharing!
I am really admire the information which you shared here in your blog which is really good read to me.

Thanks for sharing information!
Free Online Dating