Saturday, April 17, 2010

Delays

Who is ultimately responsible?

We have been trying to get Dennis an electric wheelchair for more than two months. At first the problem was his crashing into walls, but another vendor found a chair that would work for him. It was selected 7 weeks ago.

Then there was the messaging between the OT and Dennis doctor; unclear messages, incomplete messages, and unanswered messages went back and forth. Next, both the OT and the doctor went on vacations. But now it is simply paperwork.

Last week I called both the doctor and the OT three times and was assured all was ready. The OT had faxed over the necessary forms to Dr Kiefer and he had sent them on to LTC Wheelchairs, "The Wheelchair Experts....Let our wheels do your walking!". Finally, everything was ready and a wheel chair was set to arrive soon.

No word from anyone as of yesterday, so I made more calls. First I called Rick, the OT, and he told me to check with LTC. LTC said Rick had not filled out his bits of information, so it had been sitting on the desk for another week. I called Rick back and told him what they said, and, while befuddled, he said he would take care of everything. Then I recalled LTC, and they assured me they were ready to rock and roll.

However, they cautioned me, there may be another delay due to insurance. They may want a preauthorization from yet another doctor.

What?

All this means is Dennis will nag me about calling, I now need to nag four people instead of three, and it will most likely be another month before he is able to sit in his shiny new wheel chair and


Ride, Captain, ride, upon your mystery ship....

And who IS ultimately responsible? Me, I guess.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis
(54 days, 7 hours, 18 minutes to retirement)

1 comment:

vivi3 said...

Since as you say..you are out there.. I am saying HI and have a nice day..and good luck with the muck you inevitably have to put up with to get things done. Sometimes it all goes smoothly..and this is a miracle that you can barely take in...

thinking of you..walking with you..

Hugs/iva