Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hospice, Part III

We found the right hospice.

Do you know that feeling, when someone walks in the room, that the decision is really already made? It wasn't quite that easy, or that swift, but it was close.

When I talked with my therapist last week, I mentioned that I had diagnosed Dennis long before his doctors had given his disease a name. Then we were talking about the last hospice we interviewed and the problem with the feeding tube. I didn't want to do the fighting on this one/ I am tired and I knew the right person could find away around the feeding tube dilemma without having to play games.

So I went online again and looked for a new hospice team. I wrote to two agencies and let them know what our needs were. One wrote back saying they could not help and the other told me their mission was to meet the needs of the patient, whatever those needs were.

We met with them today and after ALL of our questions were answered, we signed up. We only met two of the staff today, but by the end of the week we will have met with two more. A new mattress for Dennis' bed that somehow adjusts his position through-out the night so I don't need to get up every two hours, has already been ordered.

I have been called a good advocate for Dennis, but maybe I am just trying to take care of myself. When he sleeps, I sleep. When he is in good care, I am happy.

This may not be the way we wanted life to turn out, but no matter how life rolls out for us, we always manage to find good people to help us along.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because you love Dennis so, you take care of him. Because he loves you, I'm sure he wants you to be taken care of also.

I am so glad you found the help you need.

Tracy

Ann said...

Thanks Tracy. I see you were up early once again.

Dianne Schwartz said...

I can only hope that when my time comes, I have someone like you in my life to care.

Ann said...

You DO Sammie Sue, and so will your humans.

Ruth said...

That has to be such a relief for both of you. I am so glad you found an agency that will be a help for you.

HZW said...

Happy that you found an agency that you both like and you are getting some help. Now you will be able to have more quality time together.