Sunday, August 24, 2008

Eyelids

How many parts of our body do we take for granted? I never have given much time or effort to thinking about how the body works. I have come to realize that many functions of our body are so automatic, that we seldom have to consider any of them.

Okay, we have all had to deal with occasional constipation, and even Bob Dole has dealt with erectile dysfunction. I have had high blood pressure issues, myself, but low blood pressure, let alone orthostatic hypotension was a big new one to me. Of course, I know that some people leak pee during the day, but who would have thought of the body just refusing to pee?

Now the latest development arrives. It's the inability to open eyelids after waking. What? Today, it took Dennis 15 or 20 minutes to open his eyes. I asked him about blinking, and he told me that once his eyes start working, they seem to be okay for the rest of the day. I imagine it is only a matter of time.

How much of our daily movements and actions are automatic? It seems I have yet another issue to investigate.

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis
Living with MSA, SDS, and dysautonomic diseases

No comments: